Whether you are a beginner or an expert in climbing, one of the non-negotiable gears that you should have a helmet. It provides the head the protection that it needs, giving you peace of mind. More than just its protective elements, it should also be comfortable. Otherwise, you won’t be able to concentrate on the climb.
Looking for a climbing helmet can be an overwhelming process. From the style to the color to the materials that are used, it is important to see how one product is different from the other. If you need help looking for the best climbing helmets, read on and learn from our recommendations.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Climbing Helmets
- Retrospec Traverse H2 2-in-1 Convertible Helmet
- Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
- Black Diamond Vector Helmet
- PETZL Vertex Vent Ventilated Helmet
- PETZL Picchu Climbing Helmet
- PETZL Meteor Helmet
- Mammut Skywalker 2 Climbing Helmet
- Fusion Meka Work Climbing Helmet
- Tontron Adult Climbing Helmet
- Camp Armour Climbing Helmet
- Types of Climbing Helmets
- Choosing the Best Climbing Helmets
Our Top Picks for the Best Climbing Helmets
After thorough research, our team came up with a list of some of the best options that should be on your radar, including those that are mentioned below.
Retrospec Traverse H2 2-in-1 Convertible Helmet
The versatility of this helmet is one thing that you will love the most. It has multiple vents, which will encourage air circulation to make you more comfortable when climbing, especially during a hot day. The ABS shell exterior is also great, which is made even better by the fact that it is complemented with an EPS interior. Adjustability will not be a struggle because of the ErgoKnob Adjustable Dial, which will allow you to tighten or loosen the fit of the helmet with just the use of a single hand.
Black Diamond Half Dome Helmet
This is a multi-sports helmet that you can use beyond climbing. Among others, one of the best features that you will find in this helmet is the molded EPS foam, which is the one that is responsible for protecting the head while ensuring your highest level of comfort. It also has the legendary custom wheel, which has been exclusively developed to allow users to make adjustments in a snap. This way, you can easily customize the fit based on what you are most comfortable with.
Black Diamond Vector Helmet
The revolutionary design of this helmet is one thing that captivated the attention of its users, even the pros. Whether it is for rock or alpine climbing, this will work. It has a barely-there construction, which means that it is non-obtrusive, and hence, you will barely feel that it is on your head. It comes with a polycarbonate shell, which will provide coverage for the entire head. There is also tuck-away suspension, which will allow you to keep it neatly when not being used. Lastly, there is a secure clip for the headlamp, making sure that it won’t fall as you climb.
PETZL Vertex Vent Ventilated Helmet
This product is advertised as a helmet for working at height, which is exactly the reason why it will make another exceptional choice for a climbing helmet. The deformation of the outer shell is one thing that makes it exceptional, especially in terms of its ability to absorb shock. It also has six-point textile suspension, which can customize the shape to ensure your highest level of comfort when it is worn. There are also vent holes in strategic positions to encourage airflow.
PETZL Picchu Climbing Helmet
From the same maker as the helmet that has been mentioned above, this product has an injection molded-ABS shell, so you can be sure of its ability to withstand the test of time. There is also an expanded polystyrene liner, which will significantly improve its ability to absorb shock. There are also certain adjustments that can be made for personalized fit, such as through the headband and chin strap. It is important to note, however, that this is rated only for the use of kids.
PETZL Meteor Helmet
There are four integrated clips that come with this helmet, providing you with several options on where you would like to connect your headlamp. It is lightweight and comes with a low-profile. This is designed not only for climbing but even for ski touring and mountaineering. There are strategic points where you can integrate googles if needed. It weighs only 240 grams and also has impressive ventilation, so there is no need to worry about your comfort. Plus, it has protection both on the top and side to prevent injuries.
Mammut Skywalker 2 Climbing Helmet
Like most of the helmets that are mentioned in this post, durability is one of the best assets of this product. It has a hard plastic shell, which is even made more durable with the EPS liner. On top of the helmet, you can find ten holes that will provide excellent ventilation to keep the head cool and comfortable. Best of all, the helmet comes with a universal size with a fit that you can easily adjust through the chin strap.
Fusion Meka Work Climbing Helmet
The climbing helmet is equipped with ten ventilation holes, which will provide you with the confidence that you will remain confident throughout the whole time that it is worn. Plus, it is well-loved by many because the approximate weight is only .7 pound, which means that it will never be a burden to your head. There is also a wide range of adjustability to allow you to customize the fit as you wish.
Tontron Adult Climbing Helmet
Equipped with high-impact ABS shell and high-density EPS liner, you can have the assurance that the helmet will be strong and protective. Whether it is for hobby or for work, this can provide the protection that you need without sacrificing your comfort. There is a dedicated buckle on the center part of the helmet, which will be for attaching a headlamp. You will also love the sideway vent holes, which will make it breezy.
Camp Armour Climbing Helmet
Lightweight but durable – these are two of the best things about this product, which can be attributed to the materials that are used. They provide protection without the burden of weight. More so, it has a crash-proof foam and multiple vents. It also sits high on the head, so it will be functional even for people who tie their hair. However, one issue that some of its users complain about is that the chin strap is quite bulky.
Types of Climbing Helmets
Generally, there are two climbing helmets that you will find on the market:
- Hard-Shell Helmet: One of its best assets is the extra-hard outer shell, which makes it great when it comes to durability. ABS plastic is usually the material of choice for the exterior. From the two types, this is the perfect option if you are after durability.
- Shelled Foam Helmets: If you are looking for a well-ventilated and lightweight helmet, this is what you should choose. The price will be worth it as it is better in terms of comfort compared to a hard-shell helmet. Thin polycarbonate is often the material of choice for the shell.
To add, it will also be possible to differentiate the climbing helmets on the basis of the foam that is used:
- Expanded Polystyrene (EPS): Most of the climbing helmets available incorporate this as the main material for the foam. It has an excellent ability to absorb shock. However, when impacted, it can be easily damaged, so be sure to always check for cracks to have peace of mind regarding the protection that it can provide.
- Expanded Polypropylene (EPP): This is more durable than EPS and is the same material that is used in the construction of car bumpers. It can effectively absorb impact without shattering. It is a premium material that we seldom see in the climbing helmets on the market.
Choosing the Best Climbing Helmets
As an intelligent buyer, below are some of the most important things you need to take into consideration:
- Size: Make sure that it fits before you buy. Take note that the sizes may vary from one manufacturer to the other, so refer to their sizing chart all the time.
- Weight: This is important for your comfort. Lightweight is always preferred, which means that it won’t be a burden to wear.
- Vents: Like weight, this is critical for comfort. This will provide an assurance that air will circulate, which will also prevent sweating.
- Materials: The materials used are important because they have a direct impact on durability, protection, and weight. So, see to it that it is made using only top-notch materials that will provide you with peace of mind.
- Adjustability: It should offer several options when it comes to customization, making it possible for you to personalize the fit of the helmet.
- Purpose: A climbing helmet is a broad category. It can be further narrowed down into ice climbing, mountaineering, indoor, and work climbing helmets. Make sure to choose one that is designed for its intended use.
With the best climbing helmets that have been mentioned above, you can have peace of mind. They will not only protect your head, but they will also make you feel more comfortable when you climb. So, make sure to choose nothing but the best!