Anyone who works in a construction site knows the importance of a hard hat. It provides the highest level of protection for the head against falling objects. Aside from construction workers, it is also an important piece of protective equipment for those who work in mining sites and manufacturing plants.
If you are on the lookout for the best hard hat that is available on the market today, we got you covered in the rest of this post! We’ll help you to come up with a well-informed decision.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Hard Hats
- MSA 458702 Skullguard Protective Hard Hat
- MSA 10079479 V-Gard Hard Hat
- Pyramex Safety Ridgeline Full Brim Hard Hat
- Pyramex Full Brim Ratchet Suspension Hard Hat
- 3M Hard Hat
- Lift Safety HDF-15NG DAX Hard Hat
- Evolution Deluxe 6161 280-EV6161-10V Full-brim Hard Hat
- Honeywell Fibre-Metal Hard Hat
- HDPE Hydro Dipped Full Brim Hard Hat
- Safety Works 10006318 Full Brim Hard Hat
- Bullard 62DGR Standard Series Hard Hat
- Supereight Thermoplastic Hard Hat
- CJ Safety Full-Brim Hard Hat
- AMSTON Safety Hard Hat
- KaiWorldShop Fiberglass Hard Hat
- The Different Types of Hard Hats
- The Different Classes of Hard Hats
- Materials Used in Hard Hats
- Other Factors to Consider
Our Top Picks for the Best Hard Hats
Clueless about which hard hat can provide the best bang for the buck? Keep your head protected with the products that will be mentioned below.
MSA 458702 Skullguard Protective Hard Hat
This is made by a company that is known for executing rigorous tests under radiant heat to ensure the durability of their hard hats. More than the durability and protection that it can provide, the hard hat is also known for the comfort that it delivers. The one that is responsible for this is the Staz-On Suspension System. This makes it easier to adjust the fit of the strap while also guaranteeing comfort. It has a phenolic design, which is a similar technology that makes it significantly stronger when compared to traditional plastic.
MSA 10079479 V-Gard Hard Hat
It is recognized and trusted all over the world, which should be enough for you to be convinced that this is indeed another exceptional pick for a hard hat. It has an American Eagle design with the U.S. flag, which makes it perfect for those with patriotic spirit. It has a polyethylene shell to provide impressive top protection. Meanwhile, with the Fas-Trac III ratchet suspension, you can easily adjust the fit based on what you are most comfortable with.
Pyramex Safety Ridgeline Full Brim Hard Hat
The toughness of this hard hat is one of its best assets, guaranteeing both protection and durability. It is probably because of the main material that is used, which is ABS thermoplastic resin. It is 10% lighter compared to most of the hard hats that you can find on the market, but you can be sure that the durability is never compromised. It also has excellent properties when it comes to electrical protection, making it great when it comes to safety. With the low-profile design, on the other hand, it has better coverage, especially as a protection from the glare of the sun.
Pyramex Full Brim Ratchet Suspension Hard Hat
Made by the same manufacturer as the product that has been mentioned above, the main material in this hard hat is high-density polyethylene. There is also a full brim around the helmet, providing the protection that you need from the sun and the rain. Meanwhile, with the usual ratchet suspension that is found in many hard hats, it will be easy and quick to adjust the fit as desired. With the comfort that it can provide to its users, you are always guaranteed to perform at your peak.
3M Hard Hat
Despite the fact that it is made by a reliable brand, it is affordable, which makes it another option that should be on your radar. It has a four-point ratchet suspension, providing you with effortless adjustment of its fit. The brim is short, which will improve upward visibility. There is also a soft brow pad for the hard hat to be soft and comfortable on the forehead. This pad can be replaced as needed. Best of all, it meets various industry standards, which shows how it passed a series of rigorous and independent tests to prove its quality.
Lift Safety HDF-15NG DAX Hard Hat
In terms of the construction of the hard hat, it is made of fiber reinforced resin shell. This is highly-capable of withstanding impact from falling objects to prevent your head from getting crushed. The six-point suspension system is also worth noting, allowing the hat to stay in its place and to offer effortless adjustability. There is a large ratchet knob for easy customization of its fit. Meanwhile, there is a moisture-wicking foam and a liner that will keep it hygienic despite sweating.
Evolution Deluxe 6161 280-EV6161-10V Full-brim Hard Hat
One of the most important things to check in a hard hat would be the ventilation, which will be vital for your comfort. In that case, this product can prove to be perfect as it has several vents on the top to encourage air circulation. This will keep your head dry and comfortable as you work. Meanwhile, the main material that is used in the outer shell is High-Density Polyethylene, which is hard to match when it comes to its structural strength.
Honeywell Fibre-Metal Hard Hat
This hard hat comes with an innovative eight-point suspension system, which will provide you with peace of mind when it comes to the comfort and protection that it can provide. The resin material that is used is also exceptional when it comes to strength. Unlike others, it won’t be easily prone to scratching, peeling, and chipping. It is also believed to be eight times stronger compared to traditional hard hats that are made using high-density polyethylene.
HDPE Hydro Dipped Full Brim Hard Hat
This is another hard hat that comes with a full brim style, which is great to keep the rain out of the face, back, and neck. The suspension system has also been given words of praises because it is easy to adjust. The manufacturer claims that it utilizes the same technology that is used in heavy-duty construction, so there is no need to worry about its quality.
Safety Works 10006318 Full Brim Hard Hat
If you need to always look upwards, this hard hat won’t be a distraction. Unlike others with a large brim, the brim of this model is actually short, making sure that your vision will stay clear. Despite this, the brim is able to offer to protect the eyes from glare. The hard hat also comes with a lightweight and balanced design, so you won’t have to complain of discomfort even if you wear it for an extended period.
Bullard 62DGR Standard Series Hard Hat
Style and versatility – these are two of the best things that you can find in this product. It is seldom that you will be able to find a hard hat that is as stylish as this one. There is a vented shell for improved air circulation. The shell, meanwhile, is made of high-density polyethylene. It is low-profile and rounded for the comfort of the wearer. There is also a 4-point Flex Guard suspension system.
Supereight Thermoplastic Hard Hat
Among others, one of the best things about this hard hat is the Impact Energy Control System, which has been exclusively developed to raise the protection that it can provide against falling objects. This also improves the dispersion of energy in the head upon impact, which will minimize the risk of a serious injury. It also has SWINGSTRAP, a patented feature that ensures the right fit and easy adjustability.
CJ Safety Full-Brim Hard Hat
Similar to most of the hard hats that have been mentioned in this post, this is another option that is made of high-density polyethylene, a material that is excellent in terms of durability. The vented design is a plus, which will encourage ventilation to keep you comfortable while it is worn. It also has a four-point adjustment system and a Fas-Trac ratchet suspension. The hard hat also comes with a soft brow pad, which can be removed and replaced when needed.
AMSTON Safety Hard Hat
If you are looking for an affordable hard hat, this is one option that deserves a spot on your list. Despite being an economical choice, however, the quality is pretty much decent. The vented top is great in terms of keeping the head cool. There is also a visor to protect the eyes from the extreme heat of the sun. Plus, the manufacturer offers a satisfaction guarantee, which means that you will be given an unconditional refund if you are unhappy in any way with its use.
KaiWorldShop Fiberglass Hard Hat
Among others, one of the most notable features of this hard hat is the Fast-Trac ratchet-style suspension system. The latter is an exclusive design that simplifies the process of strapping the hard hat and makes it effortless to take it off. It also offers quick adjustment to allow you to customize its fit in an instant. With the Cool Air Flow, on the other hand, it encourages air circulation to prevent the head from too much sweating. There is also a full brim, which will help to get the rain out of the face and your back.
The Different Types of Hard Hats
Generally speaking, there are two types of hard hats that are available:
- Type I: With this hard hat, the protection that it provides is limited to the top part of the head. This is also the most common choice for those who are in the United States.
- Type II: This offers a higher level of protection. It does not only protect the top but also the side of the head. This is the most common hard hat that is used in Europe.
The Different Classes of Hard Hats
Technically, the hard hats are classified based on the protection that they can provide against electrical hazards:
- Class G: Also known as general hard hats, they are rated to provide protection at up to 2,220 volts.
- Class E: These are electrical hard hats. It is rated to protect the head against an electric current of up to 20,000 volts.
- Class C: These are conductive hard hats. The two are different from the two hats mentioned above in the sense that this one does not provide electrical protection.
Materials Used in Hard Hats
As you try to differentiate the options that are available, you have to look at the main material that is used, specifically in the shell. It should be strong enough to withstand impact from falling objects. In the same way, it should also be comfortable to ensure the comfort of the user. With that, below are some of the most common materials that are used:
- High-Density Polyethylene: They are known as cowboy hard hats, which are known for being stylish. These hats are non-conductive. It is estimated that 50% of the hard hats are made of this material.
- Polyethylene: This is almost the same as the material that has been mentioned above, but the main difference is that it is lighter in terms of weight.
- Fiberglass: Similar to polyethylene, this is known for being lightweight, which is important to make sure that your neck won’t bend down.
Other Factors to Consider
Aside from those mentioned above, below are other things that will have an impact on your choice of a hard hat:
- Suspension: If possible, you should go for a hard hat with a six-point suspension, as opposed to those with only four and two. The suspension is important in the distribution of impact.
- Adjustability: You should also consider the ease of the adjustments that can be made to customize the hat based on the size and shape of your head.
- Colors: It is important to note that colors of hard hats are not only for aesthetics. Each color has a meaning, which will be indicative of the job of the user. White, for instance, is for managers, supervisors, and foremen. Green is for safety inspectors. Meanwhile, yellow is for general laborers. Electricians and technical operators wear blue hard hats.
- Certifications: To be sure about the quality of the hard hat, take a look at the certifications, providing an assurance that the hat has been tested and has passed strict safety standards.
When there are dangers from falling objects, such as in the construction site or a manufacturing facility, a hard hat is a must-have. Using any of the products briefly reviewed above will provide you with peace of mind knowing that your head is protected.