What is it that you like the most about riding a motorcycle? For many, they would say that it is an exhilarating experience, especially if you are heading to an unfamiliar route. Meanwhile, what it is that you fear the most when you are on your moto? For most, it would be their safety. This is also what holds back many people from finally trying to ride a motorbike. For your peace of mind, you need to have the best helmet for motorcycle.
Picking the right helmet can be confusing, especially because of the abundance of the options that are available. Nonetheless, this does not mean that you have to pick just any product or the one with the cheapest price. You need to be an intelligent buyer and spend time differentiating the possibilities. Keep on reading and we’ll help you make the right decision.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Helmet for Motorcycle
- HJC CL-17 Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- 1Storm Motorcycle Modular Full-Face Helmet
- Conquer Snell SA2015 Open-Face Helmet
- YEMA YM-925 Motorbike Modular Full Face Helmet
- ScorpionExo Covert Matte Black Helmet
- ILM Motorcycle Modular Flip Up Helmet
- Triangle Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
- Bell Qualifier Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- GDM DK-140-MB Duke Series Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
- LS2 Helmets Full-face Motorcycle Helmet
- Types of Motorcycle Helmets
- Choosing the best Motorcycle Helmets
- Evaluating the Safety of your Motorcycle Helmet
Our Top Picks for the Best Helmet for Motorcycle
If you are riding a motorcycle and if you would like to stay safe all the time, consider using one of the helmets that will be briefly mentioned in this section.
HJC CL-17 Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
Protection that is hard to match – this is one of the things that you can expect from this motorcycle helmet. This is possible because of the advanced polycarbonate composite shell with CAD technology. While being highly protective of the head, it is also lightweight, which is why it will never cause discomfort on your end. Plus, it has Advanced Channeling Ventilation System, which encourages airflow. It also has Super-Cool Moisture Wicking Interior with antibacterial pads. It featuresk anti-fog mechanism and 95% UV protection. Lastly, to provide an assurance of its secured fit, it has side shield lock mechanism, making sure that it stays in place even in case of a crash.
1Storm Motorcycle Modular Full-Face Helmet
Among others, the modular and flip-up design is one of the reasons why this is one helmet that should be on the top of your list. It offers full-face protection and versatility. You can lift the front part of the helmet to expose the face, which will be great for your comfort. In terms of the construction, it is made of aerodynamic thermoplastic alloy shell. It is lightweight, yet it is impressive in withstanding impact. Meanwhile, it also comes with a UV protective finish, which will protect the eyes from the harsh heat of the sun.
Conquer Snell SA2015 Open-Face Helmet
With the use of this open-face helmet, you can ride with confidence knowing that your head is protected. The shell is made of lightweight fiberglass for your comfort while making sure that protection is never compromised. It is also airflow venting, which will be great for your comfort. The padded interior also makes it more comfortable. Plus, the interior is also made of a material that is fire-retardant. If you are into racing, this is also a great choice as it is approved by various associations.
YEMA YM-925 Motorbike Modular Full Face Helmet
This is a helmet that has been approved by the DOT, which means that it has been thoroughly tested to prove that it is capable of offering protection from impact. It also uses high-quality and durable materials from the outside to the inside. These materials include multi-density EPS and aerodynamic ABS shell. For your comfort, it has exhaust vents and adjustable intake to encourage airflow. It also has a removable padded liner. Plus, there is a sun visor system that can be removed without the use of any tool.
ScorpionExo Covert Matte Black Helmet
This helmet is constructed of LG polycarbonate shell, an advanced material that has been developed exclusively by the company. It is made to withstand even extreme impact while keeping it as lightweight as possible. There is a tinted visor that can be easily retracted so that you can open it when you need more ventilation. With the visor, your eyes can be protected from dust and the harsh heat of the sun, among other external elements. The front mask has neodymium magnets and can be removed easily to expose the face.
ILM Motorcycle Modular Flip Up Helmet
This modular flip-up helmet can prove to be the perfect choice for those who are looking for versatility. It has an ABS shell that offers a high level of protection without being too heavy for you to wear. There is also an EPS Impact Absorption Liner to make you more confident that it will indeed be effective in protecting the head. The dual visor design is also worth noting. You can choose from the clear or tinted visor. The latter is made of a material that is also fog-resistant, making sure that you will be able to see clearly.
Triangle Full Face Motorcycle Helmet
This is another DOT-approved full-face helmet. Similar to most of the top-rated helmets that you can find on the market, it comes with an advanced ABS shell, which is even made better because of the high-pressure thermoplastic technology. There is also a multi-density EPS liner, a common feature that you can find in most of the products that have been mentioned in this post. The interior lining, meanwhile, is removable and washable, which will help to get rid of bacteria and odor. Lastly, the chin strap is padded for your comfort and there is a micrometric closure for the right fit.
Bell Qualifier Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
If you are looking for a sleek and stylish helmet, this is one product that should be on the top of your list, especially because it is made by one of the most trusted brands on the market. It has a no-frills design, but you can be confident that it is nothing short of impressive when it comes to the protection that it can provide. It has a lightweight polycarbonate shell and a removable antibacterial interior. The cheek pads are contoured to improve fit and comfort. It also comes with an eye shield for an added protection, which can be removed with just a single click and without using any tool.
GDM DK-140-MB Duke Series Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet
Using this helmet will make you look more stylish during a ride! It is an all-black and modern-looking helmet with a design that is sure to turn heads. It weighs less than four pounds, which means that wearing it will not be too much of a burden on your end. The helmet is also DOT-certified, meeting the requirements to ensure its safety. To provide a comfortable and snug fit, it comes with an adjustable chin strap. For clarity of vision and protection of the eyes, it is also equipped with high-quality visors.
LS2 Helmets Full-face Motorcycle Helmet
The built-in twin shield system is one of the things that make this an exceptional pick for a motorcycle helmet. With a flip of a switch, the visor will drop down and protect the eyes from the elements that could affect your vision in your ride. It has the innovative fog fighter treatment to make the visor clear regardless of the external conditions. There is also a quick-release chin strap that can be adjusted based on the fit that you find to be most comfortable.
Types of Motorcycle Helmets
While there are many considerations when trying to narrow down your options, one of the first things that should be given careful thought would be the type of the helmet that you need. The following are the options that you will have:
- Full Face Helmet: If you want the highest level of protection, this is what you should choose. As the name implies, it covers the entire face. It also comes with a chin bar for added protection. However, one of the most common concerns about this helmet would be comfort since ventilation can be limited.
- Open Face Helmet: Also known as a ¾ helmet, it has a vintage appeal. It is almost structurally the same as a full-face helmet, but there is no chin bar and face shield. It will make you feel airy and comfortable during your ride, especially during the summer days.
- Modular Helmet: This is a popular choice amongst those who are looking for versatility as it offers the best of both worlds. The helmet can be worn as a full-face or open-face helmet, which can be easily converted with a single push of a button.
- Off-Road Helmets: If you are into motocross, this type of helmet will be an excellent choice. It is much like a full-face helmet, but one of the most noticeable differences is that the angular chin bar is more pronounced. This is ideal when you are riding at high speeds.
Choosing the best Motorcycle Helmets
As you decide which one will provide the best value for the money, these are some of the most important things to take into account:
- Style: Admit it, a lot of you will decide on the basis of aesthetics. From the color to the design, consider the style of the helmet when you try to differentiate the options. For sure, you would want to look cool when you ride your motorbike!
- Comfort: Many people do not like the idea of wearing a helmet because it is uncomfortable. With this, pick a helmet with a well-ventilated design so that you will feel comfortable. It should also have a soft padding and should have the right size.
- Visor: If you want a helmet that comes with a visor, it is important that you see to it that it is made using materials that will withstand the crash. It will also be good if it is tinted and if it is fog-proof. The visor should be designed in such a way that it will never obstruct your vision.
- Size: If the helmet is too tight, you might end up suffering from discomfort. On the other hand, if it is too loose, it might offer inadequate protection. It will be good to have options for customization to adjust the fit based on individual needs. As much as possible, you should physically try on the helmet to see if the fit is right.
- Aerodynamics: This is a technical term that refers to the ability of the helmet to withstand the wind. This is important not only for safety but also for making sure that you do not feel too tired after your ride.
Evaluating the Safety of your Motorcycle Helmet
Before we end this post, allow us to give you some tips on how you can evaluate the helmets based on the safety and protection that they can provide:
- Ratings and Certifications: If the manufacturer is confident about the quality of their helmet, they won’t hesitate to show off their certifications and ratings. One of the most important is to be approved by the DOT. The helmet should have been thoroughly tested, especially when it comes to its impact-resistance.
- Materials: The safety of the helmet will also depend on the materials that are used, especially the shell. The shell should be made of a lightweight material that is capable of withstanding impact when a crash happens.
- Strap Retention System: This is important in the case of helmets that come with a chin strap. The retention system should be exceptional. Even in case of an accident, the strap should make sure that the helmet will stay on your head. Otherwise, it will be useless.
- Inner Liner: Most of the advanced helmets come with an inner liner, which is often made of EPS foam that can prevent odor and bacteria. The foam will provide an additional layer of protection by absorbing shock.
Indeed, a helmet is a non-negotiable when you are riding a motorcycle. Nonetheless, this does not go to say that any helmet will be effective in providing the protection that you need. If you want to make the right decision, consider the ten products that have been mentioned above. From their durability to comfort, spend some time to differentiate the possibilities to make the right decision.