Hitting the trail on your mountain bike, without a doubt, is an exciting activity. Nonetheless, it is also undeniable that it can put your safety at risk, especially if you are on an unfamiliar route. With this, preparedness is key. One of the most important is to use the best helmet for mountain biking, which will allow you to ride with peace of mind.
Not all mountain biking helmets are created the same. From the materials that are used to the comfort that they can deliver, among other things, there are several factors that make them different. You should never make a decision solely on the basis of which one is the cheapest. Keep on reading this guide and we’ll help you to come up with the right decision.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Helmet for Mountain Bike
- Giro Hex Mountain Bike Helmet
- What are the Different Types of Mountain Bike Helmets
- What to Look for in a Mountain Bike Helmet
- Safety Tips for Mountain Biking
Our Top Picks for the Best Helmet for Mountain Bike
The next time you ride a mountain bike, make sure that you have the right helmet! If you are clueless about which one will make a great choice, this section will give you a quick look at ten of the best products that should be on your radar.
Giro Hex Mountain Bike Helmet
The progressive style and rugged construction of the helmet will provide you with good reasons to make this a top option on your list. It comes with a POV adjustable visor. You can change its angle without the need to use any tool, making it user-friendly. You will also be happy to know that there are 21 wind-scooping vents, which will be more than enough to improve ventilation and comfort. Meanwhile, with the Roc Loc 5, the tension and vertical position of the helmet can be adjusted in a snap with the use of just one hand. Lastly, it comes with dual panels to have a firm grasp of the head for the best protection.
Giro Switchblade MIPS MTB Helmet
Made by the same manufacturer as the product mentioned above, this mountain bike helmet provides full-face coverage for the ultimate protection when you are on the trail. It has a static padding with an anti-microbial feature to make it hygienic. There is also a spare visor that comes with a camera mount. Many of its users were also happy with the design of the chin bar, which can be easily removed with just a push of a button. It also comes with an innovative bumper around the dial to prevent adjusting accidentally upon impact.
Fox Flux MTB Helmet
Designed with 20 ventilation ports, your comfort is a sure thing as it offers excellent air flow, even during the hottest of days. It is designed to address the needs of aggressive trail riders – people who wouldn’t mind spending just to be sure that their helmet offers superior protection and comfort. It has the innovative MIPS impact protection, which will reduce the rotational force if you are ever involved in a crash. Meanwhile, with the dual density EPS liner, the forces will be evenly distributed. Lastly, it has the X-static liner to prevent the growth of bacteria.
GoMax Aero Adult Safety Helmet
With the cutting-edge aerodynamic design of this helmet, you can enjoy maximum protection when you are riding your mountain bike. This is made even better by the fact that the approximate weight of the helmet is only about 250 grams. It will not be a burden on your head when you are wearing it. It comes with a polycarbonate shell for optimal shock protection without making the helmet heavy. It comes with a rear LED light, which is one feature that separates it from most of the mountain bike helmets on the market.
Base Camp Neo Mountain Bike Helmet
This modern and comfortable helmet is designed specifically for the need of people who ride on the trails. It provides maximum cranial coverage for your protection without compromising your comfort, especially in terms of ventilation. There are 18 large vents for air to reach your head. It also has side temple coverage and extended rear to protect the most vulnerable areas of the head. More so, it has a plush liner that sits on the top of the head to prevent the growth of bacteria and to fight odor from sweat.
Demon United Full Face Mountain Bike Helmet
It is constructed with a polycarbonate shell, providing you with the assurance that the toughness will be hard to rival. It is a low-profile helmet, but it offers full-face coverage. This is unlike most of the helmets mentioned in this guide which protect only the top part of the head. It comes with 13 vents in strategic positions to provide plenty of air while you bike for your comfort. There is also a removable and washable liner to keep it hygienic and to prevent the growth of bacteria that could be caused by your sweat.
Fox Metah Mountain Bike Helmet
Made by one of the most trusted brands on the market, you can be confident that this product will demonstrate superior quality. It has a lower back coverage for more protection compared to the old mountain bike helmets from Fox. To add, there are 14 large vents that allow the air to circulate to keep you comfortable when biking. The Y-strap system with a fixed anchor, on the other hand, ensures that it will have the right and comfortable fit, which can be adjusted without the need to exert too much effort.
VICTGOAL Mountain Bike Helmet
Among others, the dual fit adjustable design is one of the best things about this helmet, allowing you to customize the fit depending on what you are most comfortable with. At the back of the helmet, there is a strategically positioned knob that makes the adjustments effortless. It also comes with a high-density case with a modern technology to absorb shock for the maximum protection of the head. There is also a detachable magnetic shield to protect the eyes from the heat of the sun and other external elements. Plus, there is a light at the back for night biking.
Smith Optics Forefront All Mountain Bike Helmet
The Areocore technology with Koroyd is one of the most notable features of this product. The latter is an innovation in its shell material, providing an assurance that it remains rigid in case of a crash to offer the highest level of protection to your head. Aside from top-notch protection, it also has a lightweight construction, making sure of your comfort. Plus, it comes with 21 vents to offer improved circulation, a feature that will come handy when you are biking during a hot day. Lastly, it also has VaporFit retention system to ensure the right fit and that it stays in its place while you bike.
Lixada Mountain Bike Helmet
This safety helmet comes with 13 vents. The vents are lesser compared to the other options mentioned above, but there is still no need to worry about ventilation and comfort. The strap is also designed in a manner that it will be easy to adjust and that it will not cause too much friction on the skin. It also has a removable inner padding, not only for comfort but also for added protection. With the one-hand adjustment, you can easily customize its fit even when you are riding your mountain bike.
What are the Different Types of Mountain Bike Helmets
One of the first things that you should do is to be familiar with the types of mountain bike helmets. This section will provide a quick look at the types that you will find on the market.
This type of an MTB helmet is known for being lightweight while being able to offer a high level of protection. Many of the top-rated helmets on the market belong to this category, which protects not only the top part of the head, but also the temples, back, and side of your head.
These are open and half-shell helmets. It is the traditional choice amongst many mountain bikers. The protection is concentrated on the top part of the head and it comes with an adjustable chin strap that makes sure of the right fit. This is popular because of the ventilation that it offers since the face is open.
For the aggressive downhill riders, this is the helmet that will work the best. This is where full-face helmets belong. They are great because of providing full coverage, but a lot of people tend to stay away from it because it can be hot and uncomfortable.
What to Look for in a Mountain Bike Helmet
To help you narrow down the options that you will be confronted with, here are some of the most important things you have to take into account:
- Fit: On the top of the list of factors to consider is the size or fit of the helmet. It will be good if you can try it on physically, which will let you see if the fit is right. Measure the size of your head and make sure that it matches the sizing chart of the manufacturer.
- Comfort: In relation to fit, the helmet should also deliver the highest level of comfort. It should have vents or holes on the top, which will help to encourage air circulation, especially during a hot day.
- Weight: As much as possible, you have to choose a lightweight helmet. If it is too heavy, it can be too much of a burden on the head and you will end up suffering from discomfort. Nonetheless, while it is lightweight, see to it that protection is never compromised.
- Construction: This will refer to the materials that are used, especially in the outer shell. Polycarbonate is a common choice. It should be made of a material that is lightweight and strong enough to withstand a crash and wear.
- Adjustability: It is a must for the mountain bike helmet to have a customizable fit. It should have an innovative feature that makes it effortless to adjust the fit. More often than not, you can do this using just one hand.
- Visors: This can be considered as a luxury more than a necessity. Nonetheless, you will benefit from having a visor, especially when biking when the sun is at its peak. This will protect the eyes and prevent glare. This will also prevent dust in the trail from getting into your eyes.
- Safety: You have to look at the safety features of the helmet and how it can withstand a crash. Look for safety certifications. It will also be good to choose a MIPS (Multi-directional Impact Protection System).
Safety Tips for Mountain Biking
It is not enough that you choose the right helmet. Aside from the latter, you also need to pay attention to various safety tips, including those that are briefly mentioned below:
- Always inspect your mountain bike before you leave. Regular inspection and maintenance will be important to ensure a safe ride.
- Aside from the helmet, you need to have a complete gear every time you go out for a ride. Other items that you will need include gloves, kneecaps, protective glasses, and the right footwear.
- You should always have a first aid kit ready, allowing you to respond to emergencies before you are given professional medical attention.
- Know your route before you leave. You should research about the difficulty of the trail. Make sure that you and your bike are up for it.
- Be aware of the weather conditions before you venture into a mountain bike adventure and be prepared for the unexpected.
- Stay fit and healthy. Mountain biking can be physically challenging, which is why it is important to be sure that your body can keep up with it.
When it comes to protective equipment when riding a mountain bike, there is perhaps nothing that is more important than the right helmet, including those that have been briefly mentioned in this post. It will make your adventures more enjoyable, knowing that your head is protected from a possible injury while also making the ride more comfortable.