Skateboarding is a fun and thrilling activity, which is exactly the reason why many people get hooked to it. Nonetheless, there is also no denying that it is risky. It can put your safety on the edge. It makes you prone to head injuries, especially when you are cruising at high speed. With this, as a way to be protected, you need to invest in the best helmet of skateboarding.
With a top-rated skateboarding helmet, your head will be protected all the time. As long as the quality is exceptional, it prevents serious injuries. Many of these helmets have an innovative design that makes them stylish and comfortable. Keep on reading and we’ll let you know some of the best products that should be on your radar.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Helmets for Skateboarding
- Razor V17 Youth Multi-Sport Helmet
- Critical Cycles Classic Commuter Helmet
- Pro-Tec Classic Skate Helmet
- JBM Skateboarder Helmet
- Punisher Skateboards Helmet
- Fly Bar Dual Certified Multi-Sport Helmet
- Triple Eight Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner
- Triple Eight Gotham Helmet
- Smith Optics Smith Men Aspect Helmet
- Outdoor Master Skateboard Helmet
- Best Helmets for Skateboarding: What to Look For
- Check the Safety of your Helmet
- Choosing the Right Size of the Helmet
- How to Stay Protected when Skateboarding
Our Top Picks for the Best Helmets for Skateboarding
Clueless about which helmet will make an excellent choice? Below are some of the products that we loved as well as some of the reasons why they are great.
Razor V17 Youth Multi-Sport Helmet
This is a helmet that is designed for multiple sports, including skateboarding. It has an appealing design and comes with a sturdy construction. It has a total of 17 vents that are located on the top and the side for unmatched ventilation, guaranteeing the highest level of comfort. With the furnished interior, on the other hand, it is soft on the inside and also improves the ability to absorb shock. Similar to the other top-rated skateboarding helmets, it comes with an adjustable strap that makes it easy to fit it in the head.
Critical Cycles Classic Commuter Helmet
Similar to the product that has been mentioned above, this is also not just for skateboarding, but for other activities as well, such as cycling. It has a classic design that can instantly turn heads. There is also no need for you to worry, even when using the helmet during a hot day. This is because of the ten vents that will provide the ventilation that you will need to stay comfortable while riding a skateboard. There are two pads that are included, which can be interchanged to allow users to customize its fit and comfort.
Pro-Tec Classic Skate Helmet
Whether it is for your comfort or your protection, this helmet will surely do an excellent job. In terms of construction, it is made of hydrophilic nylon and hydrophobic polyester. It can effectively wick away moisture, which will prevent foul odor and the growth of bacteria. These materials will also be great in terms of managing perspiration. Plus, there are 11 vents that are strategically-placed, making sure of your comfort even during a hot day. There is also a two-stage soft foam liner for maximum protection without compromising your comfort. Lastly, it has high-impact ABS shell with a quality and durability that is hard to match.
JBM Skateboarder Helmet
Among others, one of the best features of this product is the outer shell that comes with a soft liner. It is tough on the outside, yet it is cushioned on the inside, which will help in the absorption of external pressure in case you are involved in a crash. It also has an aerodynamic design and multiple vents, which will guarantee the best air circulation to make you feel comfortable all the time when you are skateboarding. Meanwhile, with the adjustable straps, you will be able to easily customize the fit based on what you are most comfortable with.
Punisher Skateboards Helmet
Skateboard helmets do not need to be boring! Such is exactly what you can expect with this product, which is one of the most stylish options that you can find on the market. It has a colorful butterfly design that will turn heads. More than style, the protection that it provides to the user is also superb. The main material in the exterior is ABS plastic shell. Meanwhile, there is a black EPS foam liner in the interior that will offer the best when it comes to comfort. There are also 11 vents for maximum air circulation. Lastly, there is an adjustable chin strap to make sure that it stays in place.
Fly Bar Dual Certified Multi-Sport Helmet
This helmet can be used not only for skateboarding but also for other sports that require the head to be protected. It comes with dual certification, which means that it has been thoroughly tested to be guaranteed of the safety of the user. There are nine colors that are available. Meanwhile, in terms of the construction of the helmet, it has an ABS outer shell and an EPS liner. This protects the head from collision without the need to compromise your comfort. There is also a spin dial that makes it a snap to have it adjusted.
Triple Eight Helmet with Sweatsaver Liner
The multi-impact design of this helmet makes it exceptional in terms of the protection and safety that it can offer to the user. The selling point of this helmet, however, is the sweatsaver liner. It has an innovative liner that wicks moisture, making it great in terms of the management of sweat. It provides an antibacterial treatment that also prevents foul smell because of perspiration. It has terry cloth that will also prevent your head from being itchy. There is also an easy to adjust strap for a personalized fit.
Triple Eight Gotham Helmet
Made by the same manufacturer as the product that has been mentioned above, this is another option that should be on the top of your list. It complies with the CPSC and ASTM standards, providing you with the assurance that the protection will be exceptional. It also has the sweatsaver pad, which is excellent when it comes to the absorption of sweat. There is also an adjustable fit dial system for having it customized. Meanwhile, with the grooved EPS, it can also promote improved airflow for your comfort.
Smith Optics Smith Men Aspect Helmet
The design of this helmet is different from those that have been mentioned above since it has ear pads, which will cover a greater part of the face. This is also the reason why it can be used beyond skateboarding. It has a lightweight in-mold construction, which is one of the reasons why it is comfortable. There are also 14 vents to optimize the air circulation. Plus, it has the innovative AirEvac2, which is the one responsible for superior ventilation. Best of all, there is a lifetime warranty, which should be more than enough to provide you with peace of mind regarding its quality.
Outdoor Master Skateboard Helmet
It is a lightweight and low-profile helmet that is guaranteed to be not a burden when it is worn. Because of its design, it exposes a big part of the face open for maximum ventilation while making sure that the critical parts of the head are covered and protected from injury. There is also a removable liner, which will make it hygienic. You can wash the lining to keep it smelling fresh and free of bacteria. It has a reinforced EPS ABS shell while the core is made of shock-absorbing EPS for your highest level of comfort.
Best Helmets for Skateboarding: What to Look For
The options will be overwhelming, but this should not be an excuse for you to choose just any helmet. At all times, you should decide beyond price. With this, below are some of the most important things that should be taken into consideration:
- Fit: One of the most important things is to make sure that you pick one with the right size. While there are straps that could allow you to have the fit customized, the top part should be perfect for the size of your head. Otherwise, it won’t be able to deliver the protection that you need or it will be uncomfortable because it is too tight.
- Material: The quality and performance of the helmet will depend on the material that is used. The exterior is often made of ABS shell while the interior has an EPS liner. It should be soft and must be moisture-wicking. It should also be removable so that you can wash it to keep it hygienic.
- Impact-Resistance: What is the point of wearing a helmet when it cannot make you safe? It must be made of strong materials that can withstand impact to protect the head. It should also have certifications to prove that it passed rigorous tests.
- Ventilation: A lot of people hate the idea of wearing a helmet because it makes them feel uncomfortable. Look for the number of vents. This means that there will be holes in the different parts of the helmet for air to circulate inside, which will also prevent the head from sweating.
Check the Safety of your Helmet
While you might have spent your money on a helmet with premium quality and five-star reviews, the safety is still not certain. You need to wear it properly. With this, one of the most important things is to make sure that it is worn flat on the head. The edges should also be parallel to the ground.
Take the time to move the helmet from the left to the right. If it is too wobbly, try tightening the chest strap until the fit is right. See to it as well that it is not too tight as this could lead to compromising your comfort. Adjust the fit accordingly.
Choosing the Right Size of the Helmet
As it has been repeatedly mentioned in this post, it is important to make sure that the size is right. One of the ways to ensure this is to check the sizing chart from the manufacturer. A small helmet from manufacturer A may not be the same as the small helmet of manufacturer B.
Wrap the tape measure around the forehead, specifically on the part that is above the ears and the eyebrows. This is the most important measurement that will be needed for the helmet. It should sit low on the forehead for maximum coverage and protection. If it has the right size, it will not shift or move even when skateboarding, as long as it is properly strapped.
At the end of the day, the most important is perhaps to have the chance to physically try the helmet on to see if the size perfectly fits. If you are buying online, however, this is impossible to do. Instead, look for a product that can be returned to the manufacturer and exchanged if the size does not turn out to be right.
How to Stay Protected when Skateboarding
Wearing the right helmet is just one part of the equation. For peace of mind, here are the other things that should be taken into account to ensure the highest level of safety:
- The most important is mindfulness. You should be aware of the surroundings, especially the twist, turns, and other hazards that could potentially result in an accident.
- For the little ones, they should always be supervised by an adult, especially those who are just starting to skateboard.
- Choose the right skateboard. Quality should be the most important consideration and not the price. It should be appropriate for the age and skills of the user. It should also be inspected carefully for cracks and other problems that could compromise one’s safety.
- Aside from the helmet, there are other protective gears that should also be worn when skateboarding. Knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards are just some of the most important. Having the right footwear will also be critical.
- Do not go skateboarding when it is rainy or windy. The weather conditions can have a negative impact on safety.
Whenever you ride a skateboard, make sure that you always have a helmet on, including the top choices that have been mentioned above. It protects the head from possible injury, including a misfortune that can be deadly. Plus, they are also stylish and won’t sacrifice your comfort while keeping the head protected.