Biking or cycling is one of the healthiest sports that does wonders for a person’s mind and body. Not only does it keep your body active, but it keeps your brain fit as well from the exercise. But because you’ll often be cycling on the road, it’s important for people on bikes to wear the proper safety gear to reduce the damage from accidents.
- Importance of Wearing a Helmet While Riding a Bike
- Other Safety Tips When Biking
- Considerations When Choosing a Road Bike Helmets
- The Top Helmets for Road Bikers or Cyclists
- Giro Savant Road Bike Helmet
- Base Camp Zoom Cycling Bike Helmets Removable Shield Visor
- TeamObsidian Premium Quality Airflow Bike Helmet w/Detachable Visor
- Adult Bike Helmet, Gonex Cycling Road Helmet with Safety Light
- Base Camp Specialized Bike Helmet with Safety Light
- JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet Specialized Men Women Safety Protection
- Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
- VICTGOAL Bike Helmet for Men Women with Safety Led Back Light
- GoMax Aero Adult Safety Helmet Adjustable Road Cycling Mountain Bike Bicycle Helmet
- Smith Optics Overtake Bike Adult Cycling Helmet
Importance of Wearing a Helmet While Riding a Bike
Helmets have saved countless lives already, much like seatbelts. But the difference with helmets is that the protection is focused on the head area, which is very sensitive to fatal injuries. In fact, the most fatal injuries experienced by cyclists were from those who failed to wear helmets.
Other Safety Tips When Biking
Aside from wearing a helmet, there are other ways for you to reduce the chances of suffering fatal injuries while riding a bicycle. And they are the following:
- Always look before turning
- Always stay alert in case of unpredictable pedestrians
- Yield to traffic when necessary
- Obey all traffic laws
- Go with the flow of traffic
- Always use hand signals when turning, slowing down, or stopping
- Use your voice when trying to catch the attention of pedestrians
Considerations When Choosing a Road Bike Helmets
Because cycling helmets aren’t generally cheap, at least not compared to other helmets, you need to think hard about what you want and expect from it. Below, we’re sharing with you some of the important factors every buyer should ponder on before buying the best road bike helmet for their needs:
Biking or cycling helmets are often the lightest you can find. That’s because it’s favorable for cyclists to be as light as possible, especially if they’d like to achieve high speeds. But to create lightweight helmets that meet safety standards isn’t easy. They’re usually made from light but strong plastics and almost weightless straps, all of which are expensive to source and produce. So, the lighter you want the helmet to be, chances are, the more expensive it will be too.
The actual coverage of the helmet’s shell isn’t substantial since the helmet is supposed to be light and should allow for air to move freely through the internal body. Some helmets, there’s also a frame that fits around your head that keeps the helmet away from your scalp, which allows for the most ventilation in most cases, and allows for better aerodynamics.
Perhaps the latest trend today in cycling is aerodynamics, which is technically a study of how air flows through and around a solid object. In the cycling world, its importance lies in the ability of the bicycle and gear to let air flow with the least resistance possible. The goal is ultimately to gain faster speeds from less effort. And most helmets today do have great aerodynamics in mind, such as the tunnel-like holes that let air pass freely while keeping the head well-ventilated.
A lot of the foam pads you used to see in cycling helmets are long gone. What’s replaced them are called ‘cradles’, which just wraps your head in an almost feather-like touch. They make the helmet extremely breezy and prevents sweating or moisture build-up.
You’ll need a helmet that passes the safety regulations of certain institutions. For example, a helmet that complies with the standard of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is believed to be able to withstand more than one moderate impact. It’s a mandatory for all helmets sold in the US.
The ASTM, or American Society for Testing and Materials, is another standard setting organization. They test out bicycle helmets to check if they can withstand being impacted by anvils multiple times. There are other institutions as well, but getting a helmet certified by these two institutions should guarantee a sturdy product.
Among the most important considerations you’ll need to think of before you buy a road bike helmet is your budget. As you’ve already read in previous points, the lighter, more cleverly-designed, and well-ventilated the helmet is, the more expensive it will be. You’ll also have to consider the brand that produces the helmet. If the product comes from a more established one, then it’s likely to be more expensive as well.
The Top Helmets for Road Bikers or Cyclists
Now that we’ve gone over the important factors, let’s take a look at some of the best-selling helmets on the market today:
Giro Savant Road Bike Helmet
- Made from polycarbonate material
- Features a Roc Loc 5 fit system for better fit
- Includes 25 vents for better ventilation
- EPS liner that absorbs energy of impact
The first product on our list is the Giro Savant Road Bike Helmet, which is packed with the essential features of a reliable helmet for cyclists or hobby bikers. The shell of the helmet is made from polycarbonate, which is the common material used for many helmet shells. It’s the reason why helmets are lightweight while being surprisingly damage-resistant. The Giro Savant also includes a 25-point ventilation design that lets air move freely to keep your head cool.
Base Camp Zoom Cycling Bike Helmets Removable Shield Visor
- Designed with 7 ventilation holes
- Advanced EPS design and construction for better shock absorption
- Visor is magnetically fastened and clear to see from
- Includes a removable pad
Produced by a team of passionate cyclists, this cycling helmet from Base Camp makes for a wonderful addition to your biking safety gear. The helmet also offers good clearance between the face and visor, which makes it possible for riders to wear prescription glasses while having the visors in place. Based on consumer testimony, the helmet has managed to save several lives already, which should make it a solid purchase for its price.
TeamObsidian Premium Quality Airflow Bike Helmet w/Detachable Visor
- Features 22 large air holes
- Very lightweight (small: 0.6 lb; medium/large: 0.63 lb)
- Comfortable and easy to release chin strap
- Dial at the rear for better fit
- Detachable visor
The Airflow from TeamObsidian is an average price-point helmet that offers a lot for what you’re paying for it. It’s lightweight and breathable with its 22 ventilation holes, and it comes in a very ‘cool’ look that’s sure to attract attention from on-lookers. The helmet is also CPSC certified and comes with an adjustable fit due to its dial fit feature. The detachable visor is another welcome design, especially if you’d like to get a clearer view of the scenic places you’ll be biking through.
Adult Bike Helmet, Gonex Cycling Road Helmet with Safety Light
- Has 24 air vents for better air circulation and aerodynamics
- Interior is made from EPS high-density foaming
- Includes a LED light at the back with 3 modes for safer riding
- Casing is made from polycarbonate material
Although this helmet from Gonex doesn’t come with a visor, it makes up for it in its lightweight design and impressive 24-vent air circulation system. And let’s not forget to mention the sleek black finish of this helmet, which is always nice to look, especially for riders who don’t want to wear anything ‘flashy’. What many find a nifty feature with this Gonex helmet, however, would be its convenient safety light that allows for safer night cycling.
Base Camp Specialized Bike Helmet with Safety Light
- CPSC certified
- Made from PVC and PC
- Includes an EPS foam for better impact absorption
- Includes tail-light with back-up battery
- Features 22 air holes for good ventilation
We’ve already shared with you one other Base Camp product above, but this one looks completely different and offers better aerodynamics than the previous one. And one other design feature you can get from this helmet that the other doesn’t offer is the convenient back light that includes 3 different lighting modes depending on the rider’s road needs. This also includes a removable visor with convenient air holes that helps improve aerodynamics as you’re cycling.
JBM Adult Cycling Bike Helmet Specialized Men Women Safety Protection
- EPS foam used in the interior
- Features a dial system for better fit
- Made from the usual PCV and polycarbonate
- Certified by CPSC
Looking for something more affordable? This may be what you’re looking for. JBM has truly focused just the basics with this product. There’s nothing special about this helmet, but what riders can appreciate is that it has managed to pass the safety standards set by the CPSC and offers the usual goodies: good ventilation, adjustable head dial, and durable material that reduces the shock of impact. Also, this helmet doesn’t look ‘cheap’ at all. It looks much like helmets from higher price points and offers the same durability as well. However, it’s important to note that some customers did have some trouble with the fit and sizing, but these were mostly isolated cases.
Schwinn Thrasher Helmet
- Includes a dual-fit adjustable design element
- Designed with 21 ventilation holes
- Features a built-in, non-removable visor
The Schwinn Thrasher Helmet does what all helmets should, which is protect the rider from collisions and possible head concussions. And we can’t begin to enumerate the number of times this reliable product has saved the wearer’s life, which should be clear from the mounting positive reviews it has garnered over the years. And even today, it’s a common favorite for many cyclists. As soon as their old one starts to wear or is damaged from a previous accident, the owners didn’t hesitate to order the exact same helmet. A testament to how solid and convenient this product is.
VICTGOAL Bike Helmet for Men Women with Safety Led Back Light
- Includes a knob at the back that adjusts the helmet fit
- 28 air vents for optimum air flow
- Extremely lightweight (0.56 – 0.58 lb)
- Made from imported Polycarbonate material
- Includes detachable magnetic visors and safety back-light
The VICTGOAL helmet has everything you could possibly want in a helmet, but a more affordable price than other options you’ll find on the market. It’s no wonder the product is steadily gaining a band of loyal fans. There’s plenty of ventilation, you get detachable visors, and there’s even a backlight included. And the material is also made from top-quality imported material. It doesn’t seem like you could possibly go wrong going with this product if you’re looking for something that delivers great value.
GoMax Aero Adult Safety Helmet Adjustable Road Cycling Mountain Bike Bicycle Helmet
- EPS-liner interior and Polycarbonate shell
- Includes rear tail-light and detachable visor
- Features a dual-fit adjustment dial
- Comfortable strap with easy removal
- 22 air vents for good ventilation and aerodynamics
When you’re cycling on the road, it’s often a smart choice to wear a helmet that’s bright and attracts attention. Of course, many would prefer something black as well, but the important part is that your helmet makes you more visible as you’re on the road. The lime color of this GoMax product will make you stand out, but in a good way. It makes it easier for other drivers and pedestrians to spot you.
Smith Optics Overtake Bike Adult Cycling Helmet
- Features an “Aerocore” ventilation and aerodynamic construction
- 21 vents for better airflow
- Great to use with Smith Optics eyewear
- Doesn’t come with its own visors
We’re not going to lie. This product is a little expensive, but it’s packed with advanced design and construction elements that makes it the all-in-one helmet for bikers. What you don’t get, however, are the free visors and tail-light. The company has obviously focused on improving the aerodynamics and ventilation that they’ve skipped the other bells and whistles. Is it bad? Well, depends on what you’re prioritizing. It’s still a solid choice if you’re more focused on gaining speed while on the road.
Cycling or biking can be a wonderful hobby or sport. It’s great exercise, and it can take you to wonderful, scenic places. But it’s also important to wear the right safety equipment so you can be more prepared in the unlikely event you get into an accident. And choosing the best road bike helmets for your specific needs doesn’t have to be hard. Just go over the guidelines we’ve provided at the beginning of this article, and you should be able to make a more educated buying decision based on your needs and preferences.