It does not matter whether you are a kid or an adult. Regardless of age, a slot car set will be an excellent toy for those who like cars and racing. Basically, you will have a miniature car that is electrically driven and will have to travel in a slot on a track. This is a great alternative to races that you use to play just in video games.
From the quality of the track to the performance of the car, there are many differences worth noting to help you narrow down the options that are available. If you need help looking for the best slot car set, keep on reading and allow us to extend a helping hand. We have spent hours reading reviews to come up with a definitive list of our recommendations.
- Our Top Picks for the Best Slot Car Set
- AFX AFX21017 Giant (MG+) Set with Lap Counter
- Carrera GO!!! GT Contest Slot Car Race Track Set
- DMXSLOTS Exclusive Slot Car Racing Package
- HOMOFY Dinosaur Toys Slot Car Race Set
- Carrera First Nintendo Mario Kart Slot race Track Set
- Carrera Evolution Speed Patrol Slot Car Race Set
- Scalextric James Bond Micro Slot Car Race Set
- Scalextric ARC One American Classics Slot Car Race Track Playset
- AGM Slot Car Set With Racing Assistant App
- Artin Super Loop Speedway Slot Car Set
- How Does a Slot Car Work?
- Types of Slot Car Sets
- Choosing the Best Slot Car Set
Our Top Picks for the Best Slot Car Set
The options can be overwhelming, but this should not give you the reason to buy just any slot car set. As an intelligent buyer, you have to take the time to differentiate the possibilities. We hear you, and that is exactly the reason why we came up with this guide.
AFX AFX21017 Giant (MG+) Set with Lap Counter
Every dollar spent will surely be worth it with this set! The track has a total length of 19 meters, which will make every race more exciting. To add, it also offers versatility as there are three different power settings that are available. Users can choose from beginner, intermediate, and expert, which means that it will take quite a while before someone can outgrow this toy. Every race starts with a countdown that lasts for five seconds. Plus, there are about 99 laps in every race. It is also easy to assemble! It comes with detailed instructions from the manufacturer.
Carrera GO!!! GT Contest Slot Car Race Track Set
Ideal for those who are aged eight and up, this is one of the most popular choices for a slot car set. It has a 1:43 scale, which adds up to the excitement of every race. The track has a total length of approximately 12 feet and the cars can reach a scale speed of up to 370 mph. It can be used by more than two players, which makes it a fun toy to play with. There are also expansion sets that are available for an endless way to race with this toy!
DMXSLOTS Exclusive Slot Car Racing Package
This is the perfect option for those who are looking for a more innovative option as it is able to overcome the limitations that are present in the traditional slot car sets. Among others, one of its revolutionary features is the lane-changing technology. With the rotating pin technology, which has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer of this toy, cars will be able to change lanes regardless of where they are in the track. In most models, you can do so only at a predetermined point. This set comes with a 12-foot track, including 12 curves and 12 straights.
HOMOFY Dinosaur Toys Slot Car Race Set
For a budget-friendly slot car set, this is one option that should be on your radar. With 142 pieces, this is the perfect way to make playtime more educational. With a Jurassic World theme, the track also includes vehicles, trees, and dinosaurs. Children can enjoy endless possibilities when it comes to how they will build their track. The toy parts are made of ABS plastic, which is eco-friendly and non-toxic, making it safe for kids. To provide buyers with peace of mind, it is a good thing that the manufacturer offers a 90-day warranty.
Carrera First Nintendo Mario Kart Slot race Track Set
Made for children who are aged three and up, this is another themed slot car set that is worth considering, especially for those who love Super Mario. It comes with a 7.87-foot track, as well as two cars that feature Mario and Yoshi. The track features eight turns and more than two players can play with this set. There are two electronic controls that are strategically positioned to provide kids with the freedom to have a hand on their race. The assembly and disassembly of the track will also be fairly simple, which can be easily done even by kids.
Carrera Evolution Speed Patrol Slot Car Race Set
Another product from Carrera, this set provides real racing action to its users! The cars have a scale of 1:32 while the track has a scale of 1:24. When assembled, the track has a total length of 24 feet. Meanwhile, the maximum scale speed of the cars is up to 370 mph, which makes it easy to actually feel the thrill in every race. Right out of the box, the kit is inclusive of everything that will be needed and the assembly can be completed even by kids. There are also two analog controllers that are included upon purchase. Meanwhile, the cars included are Lamborghini and Porsche 911 Polizei.
Scalextric James Bond Micro Slot Car Race Set
If you are searching for a slot car set that is ideal even for adults, this is definitely what you should pick. This will allow you to recreate the iconic James Bond car chases that you can see in the movies. It includes a classic and modern Aston Martini DBs, which is the perfect way to show off your elegant taste in cars. The set is inclusive of an approximately 12-foot race track that can be further expanded. It is also easy to assemble and has easy power controls, making it a great choice even for the little ones.
Scalextric ARC One American Classics Slot Car Race Track Playset
From the same manufacturer as the product mentioned above, it is revolutionary in the sense that you can download a compatible app in your mobile phone, providing a one-of-a-kind way to control the car while on the track. This also allows users to unlock a host of new features. You can personalize every game by inputting the number of laps and the name of the driver, among other things. You can also easily monitor race stats and fuel usage through the app. The track has a total length of 16 feet and four inches. Meanwhile, users will be able to set it in three different layouts.
AGM Slot Car Set With Racing Assistant App
This product takes slot car racing to the next level because of the mobile app that is included, providing a new way to have the car controlled. The app can provide commentary as well as real-time data. Meanwhile, as for the track, it has a total length of 26 feet. There are three challenging layouts to add excitement to every race. The set comes with good-looking Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG cars, which are sure to make even adults drool. Lastly, there is an ergonomic control that is designed to run up to two cars.
Artin Super Loop Speedway Slot Car Set
With this set, users will be able to enjoy up to 34 feet of track, which makes it one of the longest from the products that have been briefly reviewed in this guide. It comes with two Porsche 911 GTS RS cars, each with a scale of 1:43. It has the loops and the turns that will add excitement to any race. There are also crossover tracks, as well as squeeze and lap counter tracks. The set includes two speed controllers.
How Does a Slot Car Work?
It was in the 1960s when the slot car toys have been popular. These days, even with the emergence of digital technologies, it still remains a popular toy of choice, especially for those who love racing. Basically, the tracks have grooves or channels, which are the slots. They are the ones that will guide the car as it turns and twists throughout the race. There are two metals that form a slot between the tracks. The cars are also equipped with magnets that will allow it to stay in place regardless of its speed.
The metal on the tracks is the one that provides the supply of electricity for the cars to run. There are hand-held remotes that are used by the racer to control the movement of the cars. For the driver, it is important to be smooth and consistent in the control. It is basically like playing a racing video game, except for the fact that there are actual cars and tracks that can be built.
Types of Slot Car Sets
Before you shop, it is important that you are familiar with the different types that are available. In this case, you will basically have two choices:
- Analog Slot Car: With this type, the number of lanes will determine how many cars will be able to race. Each lane will be able to power only a single car. Once the car is on the track, the rail will be powered once the trigger from the controller has been pulled. This is an ideal choice for beginners and for those looking for a cheaper alternative.
- Digital Slot Car: If you want one that is more innovative, this is the type that you should choose. Each car comes with a digital chip and each lane is full-powered. They also have crossover sections, making the race more challenging. It is more functional and is best suited for the more experienced users.
Choosing the Best Slot Car Set
Need help picking a slot car set that can provide the best bang for the buck? Here are some of the most important factors you have to take into consideration:
- Cars: The car should not only be good-looking, but it should also have innovative features that make it worthy of a race. It should be fast and must be able to handle itself while on the track. Pay attention to the scale as well to determine what size is best for your needs. Some have Porsche and Mercedes Benz accessories to add to the fun of the race.
- Track: Aside from the car, the track is another important part of the race system. Take note of its length, as well as the number of twists and turns. The latter is important because it adds excitement to every race. It will also be good if you have the option to expand the tracks by buying compatible accessories.
- Battery: This is the source of power. If there are no batteries, the cars won’t move. See to it that the battery will last long and powerful enough to survive the race. Look for rechargeable batteries as they will be economical.
- User: This means that you will have to think about the age of the user before you buy a slot car set. Many models are good for those aged three and above. Those that are more complicated and expensive, however, are for older users. Meanwhile, because of its technical nature, slot car sets are recommended for children who are at least eight years old.
- Controller: You should also evaluate the remote that comes with the slot car set. It should have an ergonomic design to promote the highest level of comfort during its use.
- Ease of Use: The slot car should be as user-friendly as possible, especially if it is meant to be used by kids. Assembling and dissembling the track should be almost effortless for the user.
- App: In the case of the modern options for a slot car set, they come with a compatible app that you will have to download in your mobile phone. It provides a revolutionary way of controlling the car and a wealth of features.
In sum, the best slot car set will make a great addition to playtime. Even adults will enjoy such a toy. With too many options available, those mentioned above are some that should be a part of your list. Their premium construction will make races more exciting for the little ones.