Running might look easy, but it is actually difficult. There are many things that could add burden to the exercise, such as the heat. You can suffer from dehydration if you are unprepared. With this, you need to stay hydrated and a good way to be prepared for this is to have the best water bottles for running.
If you are on the lookout for the best water carrier for runners, the rest of this post has got you covered. We will be listing down some of the top picks on the market, as well as a few things that you have to know to help you come up with a well-informed decision. Read on and be a wise buyer!
- Our Top Picks for the Best Water Bottles for Running
- Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated Flask
- CamelBak Quick Grip Chill Handheld Water Bottle
- Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Thermal Lite
- FuelBelt Helium Sprint Ergonomic Bottle
- Passu Sports Handheld Running Water Bottle
- Ultimate Direction Fastdraw 600 Bottle
- Salomon Hydro Handset
- Why You Should Stay Hydrated When Running
- Best Hydration Practices for Runners
- Choosing The Best Water Bottles for Running
- Wrap Up
Our Top Picks for the Best Water Bottles for Running
Here are some of the best brands and models that you might want to consider, as well as the features that make them amongst the most notable options you will find.
Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated Flask
This 18-ounce running water bottle is an excellent choice because of the double-wall insulation that it offers. This helps to preserve the right temperature of the drink, whether you want it warm or cold when you drink it.
Aside from the insulation, the 3M reflective fabric is another notable feature, which will help to improve visibility for your safety. This is especially important when you are running at night.
The race cap that is found at the top of the bottle is also great, making it easy for you to drink from the container, even while you are running. There is an included hand-strap, providing an assurance that it won’t slide off. There is also a small pocket, which will be good for your phone or cash.
The 18-ounce container is made of premium materials that are BPA-free, so there is no need to worry about toxicity. It is also a good thing that it is easy to clean.
CamelBak Quick Grip Chill Handheld Water Bottle
Similar to the product that has been mentioned above, this is another water bottle that is designed with the needs of runners in mind. There is a zippered pouch that will provide sufficient space for the small stuff that you have to bring when running, such as your phone and keys.
It also features Jet Valve technology, an innovation that has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer to shut the valve and to prevent the water from leaking, regardless of how fast you are running.
Meanwhile, it also has TruTaste technology, a patented feature that preserves the true taste of the water, unlike in the case of others that give water a plastic or chemical-like flavor and smell.
This water bottle is large enough to hold water that will be sufficient for a run of up to ten miles. It also has a reflective interior, making it easy for you to be seen in the dark.
Amphipod Hydraform Handheld Thermal Lite
With a capacity of 20 ounces, this will be large enough for most runners. Despite its size, however, you will be happy to know that carrying it with you should not be much of a burden. It has an ergonomic contour and designed in such a way that it is 40% flatter compared to others, making it easy to carry and hold.
The bottle is BPA-free. It is a material that does not contain toxic chemicals, providing you with the confidence that it won’t put your health at risk.
It also comes with an expandable zippered pouch to provide easy access to your things, such as your phone and money.
The insulating sleeve that wraps around the bottle is also a good thing. It improves the texture for better grip while also help to keep the desired temperature of the water.
FuelBelt Helium Sprint Ergonomic Bottle
If you need a compact and lightweight water bottle, this will be an excellent choice. It has a capacity of only 10 ounces and it is made of high-quality plastic, which is the reason why it is lightweight.
For your comfort when carrying the water bottle, the hand strap is padded. There is a Velcro attachment that will allow you to easily close the strap, which can be tightened or loosened depending on what you find to be most comfortable.
On the top of the bottle, there is a push-pull cap that is made of food-grade silicone. It is smooth and soft, which makes it easy to drink straight from the spout. This silicone is also leak-proof.
Passu Sports Handheld Running Water Bottle
With a maximum capacity of 25 ounces, this is one of the largest from the water bottles that are mentioned in this post. Despite this, however, it is able to maintain a compact profile. One of its best features is the dedicated phone holder. It is made of neoprene, a clear and stretchy material that will still allow you to use the touchscreen function of your phone even if it is in the case.
The 100% money-back guarantee that the manufacturer offers is also a plus. This means that you will be able to buy the product without any risk. The manufacturer will issue a refund if you are unhappy in any way with their product.
Ultimate Direction Fastdraw 600 Bottle
Similar to the other running water bottles that have been mentioned above, this is designed in such a way that you will be able to bring the essentials with you. There is a mesh pocket that provides a secure storage space for your phone and money.
The contoured shape of the bottle is also a good thing. This makes it easy and comfortable for you to hold. There is a hand strap that is wider compared to the previous version of the product, providing an assurance that it won’t slide off.
Salomon Hydro Handset
With the use of this product, you will be able to enjoy the convenience of a hand flask when you are running. It has a capacity of 500ml, yet it is compact and lightweight, allowing you to carry it in a snap. It is even made better by the fact that there is a sleeve pocket for the small stuff.
The engineered blaster valve is also worth noting. It is designed for quick hydration, providing higher water flow while being soft on the mouth, promoting your highest level of comfort.
Meanwhile, the polyurethane material that is used in the construction of the bottle itself is not only durable but also BPA-free.
Why You Should Stay Hydrated When Running
Whether it is for a marathon or your morning exercise, among other instances, you need to stay hydrated when you are running. It is basic knowledge that you need water to keep you going. It is the fuel to your performance, so you should never underestimate its importance.
When you are engaged in a physically strenuous activity, such as in the case of running, water will act as the coolant in your body, functioning pretty much as the anti-freeze in your vehicle. It keeps the water in the body for you to function properly.
Take note that the human body is 40% to 70% water. When you sweat, the amount of water in the body becomes lesser. This loss of fluid, coupled with external conditions, such as extreme heat, can take a toll on your body. This is where the importance of hydration enters the picture. You need to drink water basically to replenish the fluid that you have lost.
When you do not drink water when running, you can suffer from dehydration. Some of the most common symptoms of the latter include fatigue, dryness of the mouth, drop in blood volume, increase in body temperature, vomiting, and chilling.
Best Hydration Practices for Runners
For optimal outcomes and maximum performance, these are the best practices that runners have to be aware of:
- Let us start off with the amount of water that you need to drink. This will depend on a number of factors, such as your weight, weather, and distance. In a moderate run, aim for at least six ounces of water every 15 minutes. Drink more when it is hot or when you are running faster.
- Even before you run, you should already have a hydration strategy. Before you even wear your running shoes, drink around 250 ml of water to prepare the body. Once you are done running, you should drink water as well.
- As much as possible, drink water only. Alcohol, coffee, and tea should be avoided. Although they are liquids, they can just make you thirstier and can have a negative impact on your running performance.
- Overdrinking should be avoided as well. Water can add too much weight to the body and can make it difficult for you to move. Also, when you consume too much water, you might be scrambling to find a place to pee in the middle of your run.
- Do not wait for you to become thirsty before you drink water. Especially during long runs, it will be good to set your alarm to have a reminder that you already need to drink water.
- Remember, it is not only about what you drink, but it is also about what you wear. Be sure to wear something that is comfortable and one that will allow air circulation. If your clothes are too thick and too hot, you will most probably easily get dehydrated.
Choosing The Best Water Bottles for Running
A lot of you might end up being overwhelmed by the abundance of the options. Nonetheless, you have to be responsible enough to differentiate one from the other. With this, here are some of the most important things that you have to consider:
- Size: This will determine the capacity of the water bottle for running that you will purchase. Most of the options that are mentioned in this post are capable of holding 10 to 25 ounces of water. You need to consider how long will your running route be and how often you drink water when running.
- Material: Plastic is perhaps the most common material within the product category, which is popular because it is lightweight and easy to clean. Make sure that the plastic is BPA-free, which means that it is free of toxic chemicals that could possibly leach in the water.
- Weight: This refers to the weight of the water bottle without water. As much as possible, it should be lightweight. If it is too heavy, this can be an additional burden to runners and can affect your performance.
- Insulation: Most of the top-notch options have double-wall insulation, which will be effective in maintaining the original temperature of the drink for an extended period. This is important if you prefer cold water when running.
- Ergonomics: By having an ergonomic design, the water bottle will be easy and comfortable for you to use. The body, for instance, should be easy to grip, especially when you are moving. The spout should also be well-designed so that you can drink with ease.
- Leak-proof: Nothing can be more frustrating than having a leaking water bottle when you are running. To avoid this, pick one that comes with a tight valve or seal to be sure that water won’t leak from the bottle.
- Carrying Options: There are some products that you just have to hold in your hand when running. A better choice would be one that comes with a hand strap, which will provide a secure grip, even when you are drinking.
To keep you hydrated and fueled when you run, it is important that you have the best water bottles for running. With the right product, it will be a handy gear that will make your life a lot easier, making sure that water is available when you need it the most. For the best value for the money, keep an eye on the products that have been briefly reviewed above.