Biking, in my opinion, is one of the best forms of physical exercise. I do it often and there is one thing that I cannot leave home without – a water bottle. Of course, this is apart from my trusted bike and helmet!
Whether you are in a competitive race or a casual ride, hydration is one thing you should not ignore, which is exactly why you need to have a water bottle handy. A sip of water can do a lot to keep you going and to prevent any unfortunate situation on your bike journey.
With the hundreds of options that are available, which one should you choose? If you are having a hard time deciding, read on! I wrote this guide to provide you valuable insights, especially when it comes to the best products that should be part of your list!
- Importance of Hydration when Cycling
- The Right Time to Hydrate when Cycling
- Choosing the Best Water Bottles for Cycling
- Care and Maintenance for your Cycling Water Bottle
- Our Top Picks for the Best Water Bottle for Cycling
- Camelbak Podium Chill Insulated
- Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle
- Zefal 164 Water Bottle
- Travel Kuppe Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
- Schwinn Bicycle Water Bottle and Cage
- Via Velo Insulated Water Bottle with Cage
- Relaj Shape Water Bottle
Importance of Hydration when Cycling
It goes without saying that drinking water is important for any physical activity, including cycling. You will most probably sweat a lot, especially when the weather is hot. Whatever you sweat out needs to be replenished, which is why it is important to drink water when cycling.
When you do not drink water, it is expected that you will demonstrate a reduction in performance. In fact, according to experts, when your body weight drops by 2% as a result of sweating, you will already notice a significant impairment in your physical performance. When it reaches 10%, you can already experience circulatory collapse and heatstroke. This should be more than enough to convince you to drink water the next time you hop on your bike!
Being hydrated will have a positive impact on your energy and the functioning of the brain. When your body loses liquid, you might be unable to concentrate. You will also most probably experience a headache, nausea, and anxiety. Plus, you will also be easily tired. These are exactly all of the things that you do not want to experience when you are in a race.
The Right Time to Hydrate when Cycling
If there is one secret that you have to know, it would be the right timing. It is recommended that you drink before you pedal to avoid hydration. As much as possible, drink at least 12 ounces of water four hours before you ride a bike, especially if you are joining a race.
During your ride, you also need to drink enough water to sustain your energy level. If it is in a cool place, you need to consume at least 16 ounces of water after cycling for one hour. If the weather is hot, however, you might want to drink more, as much as four times than the latter.
Nonetheless, take note that we sweat at different rates. Therefore, the right timing and amount of water to drink when biking will vary from one person to another.
Choosing the Best Water Bottles for Cycling
To help you evaluate the possibilities and end up with the right decision, these are some of the most important things that you need to take into consideration:
- Material: Most of the products that are mentioned in this post are made of BPA-free plastic. Even if they are made of plastic, they are strong enough to last a long time. Some are also made of stainless steel, which is a good choice if you want the drink to remain hot.
- Insulation: Regardless of the material that is used, it is important that it is well-insulated. You will often encounter the word double-wall vacuum insulation, a technology that allows the drink to remain hot or cold even after several hours. Make sure to choose a drink with such a feature.
- Design: We are not only talking about the aesthetics, but also the functionality of the water bottle. One of the most important is a contoured body, which will be easy to hold. The design of the valve or the straw is also a paramount consideration. It should be effortless to drink from the water bottle, even while you are cycling. It should also be designed in such a way that it will not spill and that it will be easy to attach to your bike.
- Size: If the water bottle is too small, you might end up not having enough liquid to replenish your sweat. Make sure that it is big enough to keep you hydrated throughout your ride.
- Warranty: To be confident about the quality of the product, the manufacturer must provide a warranty against defects. Some are even offering a money-back guarantee for a certain period, which will make the purchase risk-free.
Care and Maintenance for your Cycling Water Bottle
To keep the water bottle in its peak shape, even after a long time of use, here are some of the most important things that you have to keep in mind:
- Washing the water bottle by hand is the best way to have it cleaned since you can pay attention to every place. Use soap and warm water when cleaning. A brush with a soft bristle is also a must so that you can clean the areas that are hard to reach.
- A lot of people tend to forget to clean the caps. It is important to pay attention to the cap as this is the part where you directly drink water from. Squeeze soapy water directly into the cap and rinse it well so that it won’t affect the taste of your drink.
- Clean the water bottle after every ride. The longer you keep it untouched, the more prone it will be to dirt and germs.
- Using the cold treatment is also a good way to get rid of mold and bacteria. All that you have to do is wash the bottle with warm water and soap. Rinse and put it in the freezer until you are ready to use it.
- If you are looking for natural cleaners, white vinegar will do the trick. Wash the bottle, fill it with ¼ vinegar and with water until it is full. Close the lid. Leave it overnight. Rinse well to get rid of the taste and smell of the vinegar.
Our Top Picks for the Best Water Bottle for Cycling
Now, I present to you a rundown of some of my favorite water bottles that are sure to be a good companion to your next bike ride.
Camelbak Podium Chill Insulated
This is made by one of the most popular brands of water bottles, so there is no need to worry about its quality.
With a capacity of 25 ounces, one thing that we liked about this product is how it comes with double-walled construction. It offers superior insulation, making sure that your drink will stay cold throughout your ride.
It is made of polypropylene that is BPA and BPS-free. This material maintains the purity of your drink so that it won’t have a chemical-like taste or smell.
The cap, on the other hand, is a self-sealing jet valve, so there is no need to worry that it will leak. It comes with a secure lock that prevents spills, even during a bumpy ride.
Lastly, the lifetime guarantee is perhaps its best asset. The manufacturer stands by the quality of their product, so your satisfaction is guaranteed!
Polar Bottle Insulated Water Bottle
If you want a water bottle that is a true head-turner, this should be on the top of your list. It is available in a wide array of beautiful designs.
The company has been in the business for decades and claims that they have already perfected the insulation technology. With this, you can expect its exceptional ability to keep the right temperature of your drink throughout your bike trip. This is made possible by its foil layers and thermal protection.
This 24-ounce water bottle also features a Zipstream High Flow cap, which will make it easy for you to drink.
This also comes with a lifetime guarantee, so there is no need to risk your satisfaction with every purchase that will be made.
Zefal 164 Water Bottle
One thing that I like the most in this water bottle is the use of soft and low-density material, which will make squeezing easy. Despite being soft, you can expect that it does not compromise durability.
With a capacity of 33 ounces, this is slightly bigger compared to the standard cycling water bottles that you can find on the market.
It also comes with a screw top design and a soft-bite valve. There is no need to use your hand when opening. Grab the bottle, bite the valve, and you are now ready to hydrate!
Travel Kuppe Vacuum Insulated Water Bottle
If you are the type of person who prefers to have something hot when cycling, this can prove to be an ideal option. With double-wall vacuum insulation, it can be effective in keeping your drink hot for up to 9 hours. The same thing is true if you want to bring a cold water instead.
The seamless construction of this product is also a plus, which means that there will be no condensation. The exterior will remain dry, which will make it easier to hold. It won’t slip!
The main material that is used in this water bottle is 18/8 stainless steel, which is also food-grade. This is a material that can last for years.
It also has a straw and sip lid, making it easy for you to drink.
Schwinn Bicycle Water Bottle and Cage
With a capacity of 23 ounces, this water bottle comes with BPA-free construction, so there is no need to worry about chemicals. It is made of a flexible plastic, a material that is easy to grip. Despite the plastic construction, you can also expect that it is going to be durable.
The grip does not only have a contoured design, but it is also slip-resistant. Even if you have wet hands, it won’t slip off.
Meanwhile, with the wide opening, filling it with water and ice will be an easy task.
It comes with an easy-open cap and a domed lid. The cap has good water flow so that you can drink easily from the water bottle.
Via Velo Insulated Water Bottle with Cage
Similar to the product that has been mentioned above, it also comes with a cage that secures it even during a bumpy ride. It will also make the water bottle easy to attach to almost any bike.
With a capacity of 750 ml, it is made of a BPA-free material, so there is no need to be concerned about toxic chemicals that could possibly mix with your water.
I also liked how it comes with a high-visibility design, which will make it easy for you to be noticed when on the road.
Lastly, to be confident about its quality, the manufacturer is offering a 90-day money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied in any way. Plus, the warranty lasts for three years.
Relaj Shape Water Bottle
Specifically made for sporty activities, one thing that you will surely love in this product is its unique shape. It is designed in such a way that you will have to tip the bottle when you have to drink, and not your head. It also comes with a contoured and textured grip, making it easy to hold.
The flexible spout is also impressive. It has a one-of-a-kind design that does not obstruct your view so that you can drink while you are cycling. Water also easily flows out of the spout.
Lastly, you can also buy with confidence, knowing that the manufacturer is offering a one-year warranty.
Do not forget to stay hydrated during your ride, especially during the hot summer months. Always bring a water bottle with you, including those that have been mentioned above. It will give you instant access to clean drinking water that can instantly replenish the liquids that you have lost from an intense activity.